After two years of having untamed, endlessly growing Rapunzel-wannabe hair, I have done something drastic: I had a haircut. I don't like to do things by halves, so I have - ironically - chopped off half of my hair. What started as a lack of funds to get my hair trimmed in the third year of university turned into an attachment to my long golden locks (even the blasphemous split-ends which I developed an unhealthy habit of splitting when I was bored). But it got to the point where enough was enough, and despite the death threats I got when I shared my intention with those around me to chop it all off, it was time for a change.
Et voila, here I am with my new Lob (aka a long bob). It was a revelatory moment for me when I saw my hairdresser in the mirror holding a good foot-long of my hair because I'd started to identify myself with its incredible length. It was my 'thing'. And yet after just two weeks of this hassle free, low maintenance hairstyle, I'm sitting here asking myself why didn't I do this sooner? Below I've shared 6 reasons why short hair is just the way to go.
1. I'm blonde again. I know I was blonde already, but it's amazing how big a difference cutting off the dead and darker ends of your hair makes to its colour, because now I'm blonde-blonde without even a dash of dye being put on it. (I'm only a little bit smug... #sorrynotsorry).
2. My hair now dries in minutes. Gone are the days of spending 24 hours with wet hair (and that's even when I used a blow dryer), because all it takes a quick tussle with a towel and 10 minutes later it's bone dry.
3. There's no more drama whenever I need to put on a scarf, jacket or bag, which was a daily struggle when my hair just wouldn't get out of the f***ing way! Now that winter is upon us, I'm just so happy that I won't be ripping out chunks of my hair whenever I have to adjust my various layers of winter clothing when I'm getting on and off a packed commuter train. Convenience is key.
4. I can eat hairless food again! Srsly, the stuff got everywhere, and it so was long that I couldn't even claim that it wasn't mine when I or someone else found a stray strand in their dinner... Now I can just about get away with passing the blame. Hoorah.
5. I love a frilly collar, and now I can wear pie crust blouses and frilly roll neck jumpers to my heart's content, and you can actually see them now that they're not hidden under mounds and mounds of hair. A true blessing for my #ootd snaps!
6. I only have to use 1 hairband to tie it up. The. Absolute. Dream. It's also super easy to straighten, curl, and do whatever the hell I want with! So if you're looking for a low maintenance haircut, this is it.
I have no doubt that it'll get to the point where I'm lusting over pictures of my formerly cascading golden mane and crying silently to myself that I was foolish enough to chop it all off. But you know what, as my mum said: It's hair, and it'll grow. At least for now I'm loving my new hassle free short hair, and I most definitely will not be leaving it two years between until my next 'trim' this time!
Have I convinced you to get the chop? Have you ever had a drastic haircut?